In Indiana (and the U.S. in general, I think) we count starting with the index finger, then proceed in order to the pinkie, and end with the thumb, then proceed to the next hand to count past 5. In the Galapagos (Ecuador), as we sang "Two little hands" in Spanish and English, I realized that the children were counting by starting with their thumbs, and then proceeding in order ending at 5 on their pinkies. I assumed I would find the same pattern here in Peru. But, on our first day of teaching here I realized that while a few students were trying to copy me, as I started on my thumb, the majority of students were starting their count on their pinkies, proceeding in order and ending at 5 on their thumbs! So, now I can count on my fingers in three different ways!
No comments:
Post a Comment