Often when we are trying to locate a particular item we go from store to store asking and looking around. Most stores are quite small, the size of a small convenience store, but somehow carry a surprising variety of items. If we check enough stores we'll eventually find the item we need -- a water bottle, mozerella, or hair conditioner.
One day recently I was looking around for fresh papaya and wandered into a grocery store I hadn't visited before. After not seeing any fresh produce I looked around, curious as to what canned fruits they carry. As I looked over the shelves, I heard a low voice and the tune of a familiar preschool song. I looked around, but saw no one; the song must've been in my head. I continued to look around the store and again heard a clear, soft voice singing, "pon, pon, pon, pon, pon-y, pon, pon el dedito el la manita." (Translation: put, put, put, put, put-y, put, put your little finger in your little hand). What a sweet voice; it was not in my head but I still couldn't locate it.
I walked up to the counter to pay for a few items, and the owner greeted me with a smile. He motioned to his young son who was on the floor behind the counter, also smiling. The father explained that his son had identified me as his music teacher. At this point the boy was too shy to sing but now I knew whose sweet voice I had heard earlier. What a delight to hear "our" songs being enjoyed beyond the classroom!
What is the population of the town and island?
ReplyDeleteThe town has about 6,500 people and the rest of the island has probably 500-1000 more.
ReplyDelete