Recent Family Picture

Recent Family Picture

Friday, October 10, 2014

Funnies (Teresa)

^^ Magdalena was enjoying a coconut popsicle as we walked together. Suddenly, she had a thought, "they don't seem to grow coconuts around here, do they?" In the next moment she looked up into a tree with large green fruit hanging in it and inquired "what fruit is that? Papaya?" I looked up the tree and began to laugh.... "that's coconut!"

^^ One afternoon the girls were lounging together on the couch.  From a distance I heard Luisa:  "oh, that sounds cool, stay still so I can hear better!"  As I entered the room, Luisa squealed, "Mama, you have to come here and listen to Mags' belly gurgling, it sounds so cool!"

^^ The morning after surfing, Kent came out for breakfast and began to talk without thinking too much....he quickly explained to us (in his 2nd language) that his legs were smelly.  All of us around the table, who understood what he said, stared at him wondering what in the world happened to his legs.....then Yolanda, with kindness and a slight smile, repeated to Kent what he had said.  While we all broke into laughter, Kent tried to explain what he meant to convey: his arms were sore from surfing!!  (He just changed 2 vital words!)

^^ At times Kent relies on me to say words for him that he can't easily pronounce....often they're words with lots of vowels.  At the supper table he wanted to say "Europa" (Europe) and looked at me for the word....I spit out a word that sounded something like "arepas" which is a popular food in other parts of S. America.  But really I just said a nonsense word that gave us all a good laugh!  I wonder if Kent will ask me for any more help with pronunciation....  I have figured out why our host family enjoys hosting foreigners:  we're great entertainment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment