Recent Family Picture

Recent Family Picture

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Luisa and her Spanish (Magdalena)

Luisa has been taking Spanish classes for three weeks but at the beginning of this past week she still wouldn't speak to me in Spanish. Then Ashanti came home on Wednesday after being gone for two weeks. That's when Luisa started speaking. She even speaks at meals with everyone around. Sometimes she doesn't make any sense but that's okay. 

When Ashanti came back she was telling us what she did on the trip. She was asked why she likes Quito so much and she responded really quickly so that none of us could understand. So she had to repeat it slower. She repeated it   v e r y    s l o w l y. "Yo (pointed to herself) tomé (motion of a camera) una foto con una culebra (motion of a snake around her neck) esnake." She likes to use the English that she knows to translate words.

Another time she was telling a joke to Luisa and first asked if she knew a few key vocabulary words: elefante (elephant), girafa (giraffe) and refrigerador (refrigerator). She also asked Luisa if she knew what pon was. Luisa didn't know so Ashanti got a rock and put it in her cousin's backpack. Then she told the joke: "¿Cómo pones una girafa en un refrigerador?" Luisa didn't know. "Open door, pon la girafa en el refrigerador, close door." I'm not sure where the elephant part comes in.

Today when our family was talking about whether we use preterit or if we just use imperfect (the two past tenses) Luisa said "I don't use the imperfect unless I do on accident, but I haven't learned it yet so I don't think I'm using it, but I don't really know." The three of us cracked up. Luisa's a little cutie-pie especially when she is speaking Spanish and then stops midway through her sentence because she doesn't know a word and then there's a long silence until someone decides to give he the word she's looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment