Everyone who knows Magdalena knows that she doesn't like to speak in English very much. Which means that in her second language of course she speaks even less. Since Ashanti came back from vacation in on the mainland I have been speaking a lot more Spanish, especially with Ashanti. But I don't have very good grammar and I'm not very good at conjugating yet. So of course Magdalena loves to correct everything I say. But when it comes to talking in Spanish Magdalena is mute.
Last night Magdalena, Daddy, Mama, Ashanti, Isabel, Kassandra (the other volunteers staying in the same house as us), and I all were playing Farkel. We had already taught Ashanti how to play a few weeks earlier but Isabel and Kassandra didn't know how to play so we were teaching them. But Ashanti still didn't quite get everything in the game and so Magdalena was trying to explain something to her the best she could. Magdalena was talking quite a bit trying to tell Ashanti what to do on her turn. But Ashanti was looking at Magdalena like she didn't know what she was saying. But Magdalena just thought Ashanti was tired and so she kept talking.
Then finally Mama said to Magdalena (in Spanish), "Magdalena, you're talking in English," but Magdalena didn't know why she was saying that because she knew what language she was speaking. Although, what she didn't think about was that the person she was talking to did not speak English. Then finally she figured out what she was doing wrong and started laughing. She also said that she was the one who must be tired! Then she explained the same thing in Spanish and Ashanti got it right away. Although Magdalena can speak Spanish pretty well she still hasn't started speaking very much, she doesn't always speak the right language at the right time, and sometimes she still is a little bit of an annoying messiness.
No comments:
Post a Comment